- Wikipedia announced 2019’s most popular articles, and almost all were about the biggest stories in entertainment and pop culture.
- Marvel films (and superhero flicks in general) as well as HBO shows and celebrity deaths all featured prominently in the top spots.
- The singer Billie Eilish was the celebrity to rank the highest, at No. 9, thanks to her debut album, “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?”
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Wikipedia revealed the most popular English articles on its site in 2019, as compiled by researcher Andrew West, in a blog post on Friday. As it turns out, readers of the nonprofit internet encyclopedia were mainly interested in which films and television shows were trending, followed closely by celebrity deaths.
Marvel featured prominently thanks to films like “Avengers: Endgame” and “Captain Marvel,” as did major shows like HBO’s “Game of Thrones.” There was also a lot of interest in the backstories of popular titles, with users looking up Queen’s lead singer, Freddie Mercury (the main character of “Bohemian Rhapsody”), and the Chernobyl disaster (thanks to HBO’s miniseries about the incident).
See the full list on Wikipedia’s Medium page.
13. Captain Marvel (film)
12. Game of Thrones (season 8): HBO’s hit show wrapped up its final season this year, with more than 19 million viewers tuning in for the series finale. Some of those viewers may not have seen the rest of the series and needed to catch up.
11. Jeffrey Epstein: Epstein was charged with sex trafficking in a sprawling case that included years of abuse; it sparked a swirl of news about his financial dealings and the influential people who were in his orbit. In August, he killed himself in a Manhattan jail cell while awaiting trial.
10. Keanu Reeves: Reeves appeared in two major movies in 2019, ‘Toy Story 4’ and ‘John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum’
9. Billie Eilish: the teen musician became a pop sensation this year, releasing her debut studio album, ‘When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?’
8. List of Marvel Cinematic Universe films: Thanks to the box office success of titles like ‘Avengers: Endgame’ and ‘Captain Marvel,’ fans wanted to know what else the franchise had to offer.
7. Joker (2019 film)
6. List of highest-grossing films: With ‘Avengers: Endgame’ shattering the record in 2019, moviegoers wanted to see which titles it beat out.
5. Chernobyl disaster: HBO’s docudrama ‘Chernobyl’ generated lots of curiosity about the 1986 nuclear explosion in Pripyat, Ukraine, that inspired the series.
Real Life. Real News. Real Voices
Help us tell more of the stories that matterWelcome to NewsGroup
4. Freddie Mercury: ‘Bohemian Rhapsody,’ the biopic about the iconic Queen frontman, was a major box-office success this year, and people wanted to know more about the man born Farrokh Bulsara.
3. Ted Bundy: People online were particularly interested in the infamous serial killer. Curiosity spiked in 2019 thanks to the film ‘Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile’ and the documentary ‘Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes’
2. Deaths in 2019: The second most-viewed Wikipedia page was a list of the people who died this year, from Toni Morrison to Luke Perry.
1. Avengers: Endgame: The most-viewed page of the year was for the blockbuster Marvel film, which wrapped up multiple story arcs from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, bringing characters from across the franchise together for an epic final battle.
See Wikipedia’s full list here.
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe